Monday, February 5, 2007

Project 1 Recycled Diapers and Wipes Tote



OK, this is a super easy first project and shouldn't take long. It is a fun little idea that I came up with to help recycle something that would normally just be thrown away. There are a few different options for you but the final end use for this particular project is to carry diapers and wipes. There are cute ones on the market right now (Diapees and Wipees is one of them) but why not get crafty and make your own?


What to use? The vinyl and/or plastic packaging from the following: (some have zippers, some don't)



  • Plastic/vinyl package from new pillowcases

  • Plastic/vinyl package from curtain panels, valences, etc.

  • Plastic/ vinyl package from soccer shin guards


Click on the link above for an example of one that I am selling on Etsy. I entered it in the Upcycle contest. I decorated it using a left over gift bag that I received at my baby shower. I included a photo.



Other potential ideas and uses for this packaging are to hold maps in your car, retail store coupons - larger ones like Bed, Bath and Beyond easily fit, a mini restaurant tote for infants/toddlers that holds a disposable place mat, wipes, bib, small snack, toy or something to entertain, etc. , or even a take-out restaurant menu holder. I may add to this as I go as I think of more uses, but this is a good start anyway.

What is upcycling? It is a new trend that I love. According to information posted on Etsy "The word Upcycling was coined by William McDonaugh and Michael Braugart in their book on ecologically intelligent design, Cradle to Cradle. In the simplest terms, upcycling is the practice of taking something that is disposable and transforming it into something of greater use and value. In this contest we challenge all Etsy users to create an object to sell on Etsy that is comprised of materials that would have otherwise ended up in the trash heap. "

Don't you love this idea of upcycling?? I seem to be looking at everything a little differently. So go ahead, get creative and find a use for this great reusable packaging.

To quickly summarize this project:

Materials:

  • a recycled plastic/vinyl package as mentioned above
  • embellishments: wrapping paper, stickers, gift bags, photos or whatever you have at home and want to use to decorate it
  • *Glue - my packaging had pocket sleeves in it already (it was where the company puts the paper insert with the product info. (photo image, size, color etc. of the pillowcases or curtains from when I bought it) so I didn't need to use any glue
  • Diaper and wipes or whatever you plan to use this for in the end.

* I didn't need it but you may.

Steps: (If I can even call it this b/c it is so easy)

  • Embellish the package with personal photos or any of the ideas/items mentioned above and simply fill it with whatever you are using it for. Voila. You are done! Couldn't be any easier but it is a great way to save a few buck instead of buying one.

Happy Crafting,

Madame Craftsalot

Stay tuned for the next project: Hand painted Time-Out mat for kids

No comments: