Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Faux Fun - Lampshade


Here is a project that was done on Creative Juice. I have done something similar. They used a typical grocery store brown paper bag for their project. Click on the title for a link to their instructions. I did mine a little differently. I used brown kraft builders paper found at Home Improvement stores. They applied theirs to a lampshade. I applied mine to a store bought plain white art canvas (used for painting). I cut a piece of paper about 2 inches larger than my canvas (in all directions). I used acrylic paint and painted the piece of paper in a light brownish color. Next I wrinkled the paper. Then I used an antiquing glaze over it. It really helped add some texture. Then I ripped the paper which left me with a rough, cool raw looking edge. I applied it to the canvas with wallpaper paste. It looks like real leather b/c of the brown tones that I used. It was a pretty easy project. I recommend trying it. I have seen it applied to chairs, furniture, etc. You can be creative. You can vary the steps depending on what kind of finished look that you want. If you don't want unpainted raw edges, then glaze it after you rip it or if you don't want too much texture, glaze it before you wrinkle it. I also took it one step further and added a brown stencil design just for the heck of it. I included an image of my finished project.

Happy Crafting,

Madame Craftsalot

No comments: