Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Trash to Treasure

















I have been busy lately creating, but not for myself. I completed 3 and half (more later) projects for the Junior League of Winston Salem's Rummage Sale Silent Auction. All it took was "just" 20+ hours and multiple skin rashes later to finish. I made two tables and a decorative memo board. The "half" project that I referred to is still a work in progress. A frustrating one at that. I am trying to make a table out of golf clubs and have tried 3 different times to find a way to attach the legs to the table top portion. Not so much. I decided to stop for a bit after my last attempt and a rash that covered my face, arms and torso all the way down to my belly button. The legs are currently attached, but lets just say if you set your drink on the table it would probably slide off. I will revisit it soon and finish it for next year.

On the plus side, I am happy with the other three projects. I have never made tables before so it was a challenging endeavor for me. A lot of imagination, resourcefulness and trial and error. I am pleased with the outcome and glad that I took on a new challenge. I learned a lot.
The cork board was painted in a surf motif. It coordinates with bedding from Pottery Barn kids. The ski table is kinda funky. I had 2 pairs of skis, cut off the tips and created a brace. I had glass cut for the top. One set of skis was really ugly (neon pink) so I found cool ski images and decoupaged it on the front. Cool. It sold for $75. The final table was an old tray and some sort of base. (Not sure what its original use was) I painted both parts and decoupaged vintage Winston Salem, NC postcards onto the tabletop portion. I got a small piece of glass cut to cover the top. I really like it.


Here are my photos! They don't really do anything justice, but you get the gist.

Happy Crafting,

Madame Craftsalot
www.madamecraftsalot.com





No comments: